Sunday, January 18, 2009

AAU Basketball

This was Jaxon's first season of AAU basketball and it was much more like real basketball! As much as I love Upwards there is just a different level of intensity that comes with AAU ball. And the kids actually play a position, run plays, foul, steal the ball, and GET into it! Or maybe I should say I GET into it! He plays for the Meridian Wolf pack and considering that they have only been together for 5 weeks they did pretty dang good! This weekend they played in a tournament with just 4th graders (last tourney was against 5th graders...boy, one year makes a difference). So they actually won two of the 4 games that they played! This was a BIG deal! Its great to see the boys get a taste of success when they have worked so hard the last few weeks.

Jaxon had an awesome weekend. He plays point guard and can dribble through just about anything! He had 11 points in the last game and considering they only scored 31 total, that's great! He had 4 or 5 steals for lay ups, really learned how to draw the foul and had some awesome assists! He even threw up a shot at the half time buzzer and it went in! The crowd went wild....you would have thought we just won the championship! I have to say, I never thought 4th grade basketball could be so exciting! I get giddy just thinking about it!

But what impresses me most is the incredible attitude my son has. Jay and I just look at each other and wonder where he got that from! He is all smiles win or loose and he asked Jay after the last game "what could I work on to get better dad?". And he really wants to know! Considering he is one of the best players on the team that's amazing to me. He's not a ball hog, but he's not afraid to keep shooting even if he misses. I hear him after every game encouraging his other team mates, telling them what they did great out there. There is no pride, or arrogance just a teachable spirit and a true love for the game. Oh, Lord, I pray he keeps this attitude! What an inspiration he is to me and Jay.



#3, Point Guard for the Wolfpack....Jaxon Huuuuuughes!


Free Throw shot...yeah....it went in!

Antoher Free Throw


3 comments:

Bridgette said...

Yay Jax! What an encouragement you are to your teammates. I love hearing stories like this!

Amanda said...

What a great guy-it will be so fun to see what God has for him in years to come!

Anonymous said...

Yeah Jaxon!! Papa and I were thinking of you all weekend knowing you were in a tournament. So wish we could have been there to see you in action. We are so proud of the amazing young man you are Jax - both inside and out! I can just hear the Lord saying, "see that boy - he belongs to me!" Love you to pieces!