Sunday, June 15, 2008

Total Athletes!

Jaxon and Kenna just got done with a three day basketball camp that was fantastic! It was put on by the FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes). The kids had a great time learning basketball skills but more importantly life skills. It was really cool how the head coach (Coach Brown) applied basketball to life... example: your follow through shot is like your word, you always follow through on what you said you would do. Jax and Kenna both came away with great life applications and I came away with an appreciation for these coaches who love kids and desire to see kids come to know Christ. They presented the gospel on the last day which was awesome! All 3 days they pressed into the kids minds that a "Total Athlete makes good choices on and off the court". What a great camp! The kids and I are already looking forward to next summers camp! I could totally see Jay doing this one day, in fact the head coach totally reminded me of Jay and the way he coaches kids.
Jaxon, Coach Brown & his favorite camper...Kenna! Coach liked her pink ball!
TRIPLE THREAT!
Kenna was one of the finalist in the slam dunk contest...mainly because she was the cutest and smallest camper there! Way to go Missy Moo! Jaxon was also one of the finalist so it was fun to see them both in the contest together!

Steve Nash in action!

He made this lay up! Way to go Jax....I LOVE watching my boy play!

We were sent home with some FCA info and I read this creed they have and wanted to share it with you all. Mainly because these are things that we constantly talk to the kids about in everything they do, but since we seem to be heading down the road of being a sports family I thought this was so fitting! I think Ive even talked Jaxon into memorizing it for his speech meet this fall. It spurred me on as a mom!

THE COMPETITORS CREED

(Fellowship of Christian Athletes)
I am a Christian first and last.I am created in the likeness of God Almighty to bring Him glory.I am a member of Team Jesus Christ.I wear the colors of the cross.
I am a Competitor now and forever.I am made to strive, to strain,to stretch and to succeed in the arena of competition.I am a Christian Competitor and as such, I face my challenger with the face of Christ.
I do not trust in myself.I do not boast in my abilities or believe in my own strength.I rely solely on the power of God.I compete for the pleasure of my Heavenly Father, the honor of Christ and the reputation of the Holy Spirit.
My attitude on and off the field is above reproach -my conduct beyond criticism.Whether I am preparing,practicing or playing;I submit to God's authority and those He has put over me.I respect my coaches, officials,teammates and competitors out of respect for the Lord.
My body is the temple of Jesus Christ.I protect it from within and without.Nothing enters my body that does not honor the Living God.My sweat is an offering to my Master.My soreness is a sacrifice to my Savior.
I give my all - all of the time.I do not give up. I do not give in.I do not give out. I am the Lord’s warrior -a competitor by conviction and a disciple of determination.I am confident beyond reason because my confidence lies in Christ.The results of my efforts must result in His glory.
LET THE COMPETITION BEGIN.LET THE GLORY BE GOD'S

0 comments: