Friday, July 27, 2007

As I was walking into Target today to buy underware...

there was another family walking towards the entrance from the other side of the parking lot. The mom looked about my age and she had 4 kids close to the same ages as mine...except that she had 3 girls and a boy. I smiled at her and she smiled at me as if we knew what the other one was thinking. But as I watched her 3 girls interacting I thought about my Kenna. Being the only girl in our family people often give her the "oh, your the only girl" look as if to say "good luck". Or she gets the "are you sad you don't have a sister?" question. Its to bad that grown ups don't do just that and...grow up. She is my daughter, my one and only and I praise God for her everyday. She will be strong, protected and loved by the men in her life and she will be a lady. I'm sure having a sister is a nice thing but this is the family God gave her...she is not missing out. And this is exactly how we will raise her. To be content with the life God has given her and to make the best of every situation even if the world says its not ideal. She has been blessed with girlfriends...she's not lacking in female companionship. And one day when she has sister-in-laws she will have sisters. I never had a sister and I never felt like I was missing out until people started feeling sorry for me. But that only lasted a few minutes...I'm not going to be sad over something I cant control and I want Kenna to feel the same way...Like God is in control, not her. The Lord has blessed my life with many sister-in-laws, some of which are now my best friends, and he has given me 3 other women in my life who are my "sisters". I praise HIM for these relationships every day. I am not an angry mom writing this...just passionate about the things we say to kids that can affect them for life. So the next time you want to feel sorry for a little girl who has all brothers or a brother who has all sisters try and look for the positive in the situation, because there situation is the way God planned it...who's going to mess with that!

Signed,
A mom who loves her daughter

1 comments:

The Brown's said...

You go girl. It's funny how everyone else knows best, huh. We know God's in control, and he doesn't make mistakes. I think Kenna will be just fine! :)